[Xymon] change alert email text?

John Tullis john at executech.com
Thu May 7 07:32:46 CEST 2015

I do it with a custom script. It took me a while to get it exactly right but I love how clean my alerts look now.

I created a script that pulls whatever data in that I want to send in the email. You can add any of the fields in the alerts.cfg<http://xymon.sourceforge.net/xymon/help/manpages/man5/alerts.cfg.5.html> man page. (Side note, unless you're looking at CONN, so far the IP address isn't listed in the variable $BBALPHAMSG for the hosts I'm monitoring)

#!/bin/sh

n=$RECOVERED

if test $n -eq 0

then

Here are the details of your problem:

<pre>

$BBALPHAMSG

</pre>

Please log onto $BBHOSTNAME and check the $BBSVCNAME." | mail -a "Content-type: text/html;" -s "ALERT: $BBHOSTSVC is $BBCOLORLEVEL" --append=FROM:"Zymon Monitoring System <alert at company.com>" $RCPT

else

It looks like $BBHOSTNAME has recovered.

<pre>

$BBALPHAMSG

</pre>

$BBSVCNAME on $BBHOSTNAME has recovered." | mail -a "Content-type: text/html;" -s "NOTE:$BBSVCNAME on $BBHOSTNAME recovered" --append=FROM:"Xymon Monitoring System <alert at company.com>" $RCPT