[Xymon] Error in parsing of filesystem usage when monitoring NFS mounts

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Mon Mar 30 14:56:35 CEST 2015

On 26 March 2015 at 21:37, Marcus Mundt <marcus.mundt at forsa.de> wrote:

> I monitor filesystems on one of my xymon clients. This went really well
> until switching to NFS. I managed to list and monitor the NFS mount, but
> the parsing of the transmitted string for the disk usage seems to go wrong
> at some point

I would think that NFS-mounted filesystems would be monitored on the server
that hosted them, rather than other servers that mount them.

> #df -Pl -x iso9660 -x $EXCLUDES | sed -e '/^[^  ][^     ]*$/{
> # without "l" lists NAS_BACKUP_DAILY
> df -hP -x iso9660 -x $EXCLUDES | sed -e '/^[^   ][^     ]*$/{

You've replaced "df -Pl" with "df -hP".  The "-h" changes the headers.
This is important because the [df] parser specifically looks for columns
with the titles "Available", "Capacity" and "Mounted" to work out what each
column is for.  By adding "-h" you instead get "Avail", "Use%" and
"Mounted".  I think when the column headers can't be found, the parser will
assume that the values are in position 1, hence the "172"
being interpreted as disk space usage.

Try changing "df -hP" to "df -P" and see if that works better.