[Xymon] good or bad html "tags" not showing in web page "msgs" report

Shawn Heisey hobbit at elyograg.org
Sat Mar 14 00:11:22 CET 2015

I have a log entry that looks like this:

[2015-03-02 13:32:43.011110] E
[dht-linkfile.c:213:dht_linkfile_setattr_cbk] 0-mdfs-dht: setattr of
uid/gid on /newscom/mdfs/ZUMA/zumaamericaseight/docs/364/090
:<gfid:00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000> failed (Invalid argument)

This is in the gluster NFS log.  I wanted to stop getting alarms on this
log entry, so I looked at what I get when I click on the red icon under
"msgs" in my browser ... only that shows up like this (not exactly the
same log entry, but the format is the same):

.2015-03-13 22:48:18.447034] E
[dht-linkfile.c:213:dht_linkfile_setattr_cbk] 0-mdfs-dht: setattr of
uid/gid on /newscom/mdfs/IS/isphotos/docs/056/515 : failed (Invalid
argument)

The problem is that the browser interpreted the part starting with
"<gfid:" and ending with ">" as an HTML tag, so it didn't display it.  I
did not realize this was happening, so I built an "ignore" line for
client-local.cfg that did not include that part, and I was really
scratching my head as to why my ignore did not work.

Would it be possible to automatically convert characters in log entries
that are special to HTML into their HTML equivalents for display in a
browser?  In this case, < would become < ... > would be %gt; ... and
so on.

Thanks,
Shawn