[Xymon] rrd logs and graphs

Vernon Everett everett.vernon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 04:18:50 CET 2015

Hi Jeremy

I think you got that one nailed.
I added
  send ""
  expect ""
as you requested, and it cores again.
This time on the next entry, which is telnets
[telnets]
   options ssl,banner,telnet
   port 992
Again, no send and expect.
Updated telnets, and it crapped out at ldap.
[ldap]
   port 389

[ldaps]
   options ssl
   port 636

[rsync]
   expect "@RSYNCD"
   options banner
   port 873
About now, I am getting a little nervous adding send and expect, because
unlike telnet and telnets, we are doing ldap and ldaps testing.

Any suggestions?
I think we have some debug code update recommendations for JC though. :-)
A good win, but still doesn't solve my original problem. :-(

Regards
Vernon

On 11 March 2015 at 11:02, Jeremy Laidman <jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au> wrote:

> On 11 March 2015 at 13:13, Vernon Everett <everett.vernon at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> As much as I like the idea of modifying the code and recompiling, we need
>> to remember, this is a production system.
>> I get frowned upon when I add --debug just to create a core dump. :-(
>>
>> I doubt changing source code and recompiling is going to get a green
>> light.
>>

> Yep, fair enough.  I'm guessing you can't reproduce the core dump on a
> non-production system.
>

>> As for your question about XYMONNETSVC, it's not a variable that's
>> defined anywhere in my config.
>> etc]# grep XYMONNETSVC *
>> return nothing.
>>

> Haha, looks like it's an internal environment variable that Xymon uses to
> pass around the list of xymonnet services.  It's mentioned in the man page
> for xymonnet, but otherwise it appears to be unexposed and intended to be
> for-internal-use-only.
>
> Interesting about the telnet definition.  Do you do any telnet testing?
> If not, can you comment the stanzas for telnet and telnets out of
> protocols.cfg and try again?
>
> Something else to try is to put in a "send" and "expect" lines such as:
>
> [telnet]
>   send ""
>   expect ""
>   options banner,telnet
>   port 23
>
> I think this might be the cause of the core dumps.  For protocols.cfg
> stanzas that don't have "send" or "expect" strings, the debug code tries to
> print such strings, and they turn out to be null pointers or something like
> that.

"Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory"
- General George Patton