[Xymon] rrd logs and graphs

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Wed Mar 11 04:02:24 CET 2015

On 11 March 2015 at 13:13, Vernon Everett <everett.vernon at gmail.com> wrote:

> As much as I like the idea of modifying the code and recompiling, we need
> to remember, this is a production system.
> I get frowned upon when I add --debug just to create a core dump. :-(
>
> I doubt changing source code and recompiling is going to get a green light.

Yep, fair enough.  I'm guessing you can't reproduce the core dump on a
non-production system.

> As for your question about XYMONNETSVC, it's not a variable that's defined
> anywhere in my config.
> etc]# grep XYMONNETSVC *
> return nothing.

Haha, looks like it's an internal environment variable that Xymon uses to
pass around the list of xymonnet services.  It's mentioned in the man page
for xymonnet, but otherwise it appears to be unexposed and intended to be
for-internal-use-only.

Interesting about the telnet definition.  Do you do any telnet testing?  If
not, can you comment the stanzas for telnet and telnets out of
protocols.cfg and try again?

Something else to try is to put in a "send" and "expect" lines such as:

[telnet]
  send ""
  expect ""
  options banner,telnet
  port 23

I think this might be the cause of the core dumps.  For protocols.cfg
stanzas that don't have "send" or "expect" strings, the debug code tries to
print such strings, and they turn out to be null pointers or something like
that.