[Xymon] CLIENTHOSTNAME and hosts that use FQHNs as their hostname

Greg Earle earle at isolar.DynDNS.ORG
Mon Jun 22 16:44:09 CEST 2015

Is CLIENTHOSTNAME still supported?

My group was asked to start managing some systems in our organization;
we discovered that they use FQHNs as their "hostname".  (No idea why)

I want them to report in to the Xymon server (4.3.12 on RHEL 6.3) with
the short name instead.  Strangely, on their 2 Debian Squeezy 6.0.6
systems with Xymon 4.3.0beta2, enabling CLIENTHOSTNAME works fine.

But the rest of their systems (all but one) are CentOS 5.8-5.11 and with
xymon-client-4.3.17-1.el5.centos RPMs installed, enabling CLIENTHOSTNAME
in "/etc/sysconfig/xymon-client" apparently has no effect.  They all
show up as Ghost Clients.  The temp files written to "/dev/shm" are

msg.<FQHN>.txt
xymon_vmstat.<FQHN>.<pid>
logfetch.<FQHN>.cfg

etc.  I've got CLIENTHOSTNAME set:

[root at endeavour ~]# grep ^CLIENT /etc/sysconfig/xymon-client
CLIENTHOSTNAME="endeavour"

I tried manually adding "--hostname=<short name>" to the arguments and got

	/usr/sbin/xymonlaunch: Unsupported argument: --hostname=endeavour

On the server side I tried adding the "CLIENT:<short name>" keyword:

[root at xymonserver xymon]# grep endeavour hosts.cfg
192.168.1.100	endeavour CLIENT:endeavour	# ssh
192.168.1.100	endeavour CLIENT:endeavour	# noconn

(I also tried putting it after the "#" - hey guys, a sample "hosts.cfg"
 file with some of the optional features/keywords wouldn't hurt, y'know.)

No difference.  What am I missing?

	- Greg