[Xymon] Making COMPACT: work

Root, Paul T Paul.Root at CenturyLink.com
Wed Jun 17 17:17:56 CEST 2015

I didn't know compact existed.  I gave it a try, and it did compact it down, but if I click on the column, I just get "status not available".

That's not useful.

From: Xymon [mailto:xymon-bounces at xymon.com] On Behalf Of Scott, Brian
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 12:03 AM
To: xymon at xymon.com
Subject: [Xymon] Making COMPACT: work

After years of wanting to use COMPACT: in hosts.cfg but never getting it to work, I finally decided to have a closer look.

It turns out there are a few small problems that need attention. In particular, the documentation is wrong about delimiters. If you use the syntax shown in the man page then it will crash (or not depending on some undocumented behaviour with strlen and NULL input).

The correct format is actually:

COMPACT:newfield=oldfield1|oldfield2|oldfield3,anothernewfield=oldfield4|oldfield5

Etc.

These patches correct the manpage, make the software more robust against crashes when you try the bad syntax, and fix a problem with clicking on the summary icon.

This communication is the property of CenturyLink and may contain confidential or privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the communication and any attachments.