[Xymon] [xymon] Performance issue

Gautier Begin gbegin at csc.com
Sun Jun 7 16:46:41 CEST 2015

Hello,

I'm using XYMON 4.3.12 to monitore ~1000 Windows and ~1000 UNIX. I have
one xymon proxy dedicated to each type of OS. One Windows and an other
UNIX.

XYMON server and proxy are running on Solaris 10 zones.
I currently have issue on the main XYMON server, during high activity time
windows:

- The number of connections in the state CLOSE_WAIT (netstat ; port 1984)
is increasing on the main server until it reach ~2014, then the xymon is
nearly to crash (no

more web windows update, false alerts etc.). Only the windows proxy has
also an increase of CLOSE_WAIT but 4 times less than on the server.
- In the main XYMON logs (whatever it is), I see this messages:
2015-06-07 03:20:11 Whoops ! Failed to send message (timeout)
2015-06-07 03:20:11 ->
2015-06-07 03:20:11 ->  Recipient '<main XYMON server IP>', timeout 15
2015-06-07 03:20:11 ->  1st line: 'combo'
2015-06-07 03:20:16 Flushed 2 stale messages for 0.0.0.0:0
2015-06-07 03:20:18 Flushed 1 stale messages for 0.0.0.0:0
- The xymond test shows that the Incoming Messages rate is limited to
150msg/s.
- High activity is correlated with BBWin.cfg update. I'm using BBWin in
local mode with the bbwinupdate feature. The BBWin config files are stored
on the XYMON server

and downloaded/checked by the BBWin agent.

Parameters that seems to have effects:
xymonserver.cfg
        MAXMSGSPERCOMBO (on the proxy, should be low)

tasks.cfg
        timeout of xymond and xymonproxy set to the possible lower: 5mn
        xymongen => INTERVAL changed from 1m to 2m

These actions seem still not to have enough effect. Please advise.

Cordialement, Regards,Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Gautier BEGIN

Absence: from the 25th May to 2ndJune

Global Service Support Solutions - Tools Support
CACEIS/SILCA and APERAM accounts
CSC Luxembourg Delivery Center
CSC Computer Sciences Luxembourg S.A.
12D Impasse Drosbach
L-1882 Luxembourg

Global Outsourcing Service | p:+352 24 834 276 | m:+352 621 229 172 |
gbegin at csc.com | www.csc.com

CSC • This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient,
please delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the
mistake in delivery.  NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not
operate to bind CSC to any order or other contract unless pursuant to
explicit written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting
the use of e-mail for such purpose
CSC Computer Sciences SAS • Registered Office: Immeuble Le Balzac, 10
Place des Vosges, 92072 Paris La Défense Cedex, France • Registered in
France: RCS Nanterre B 315 268 664