[Xymon] Question on trending using Windows MrBig client - working now, fix unknown

Deiss, Mark Mark.Deiss at xerox.com
Tue Jan 27 14:20:39 CET 2015

First off, like to thank Mr. Eriksson for authoring the MrBig package. Really appreciate it.  Running older Windows platforms so the powershell clients are not practical and prefer to minimize any Windows registry modifications which some of the other clients require.

Created another dummy widget on the Windows box, made xymonserver.cfg updates on the Xymon server. Halted the MrBig service, halted the Xymon services, flushed the Xymon logs, restarted Xymon services then MrBig services --- and of course --- Mr. Johnson's Windows widget started populating the rrd databases on the Xymon server. Arggghh. No clue what cleared the issue. Had Mr. Johnson's widget just updating the web pages and was not working further on it's rrd issue while trying to get dummy widget to generate rrd content.

Now, trying to figure out why the NCV_<testname>="blah1:GAUGE,blah2:GAUGE,*:NONE" syntax in the xymonserver.cfg is not suppressing garbage lines that have colon entries (lines with timestamp entries).  Running Xymon 4.3.17 - time to see if there is some patch. Looking in the mail archive, see that Mr. Johnson in 2006 was discussing this issue with Mr. Stoerner replying with the NONE syntax. A rrdtool dump and rrdtool info is showing the garbage content being inserted into the rrd file.