[Xymon] Question on trending using Windows MrBig client

Deiss, Mark Mark.Deiss at xerox.com
Mon Jan 26 21:15:49 CET 2015

Has anyone successfully performed rrd trending using data from an external test from a MrBig Windows client?

The MrBig client-internal tests are creating rrd files on the Xymon server. Have a stripped down external test that is staging a file  (filename of citrix, no file extension) for delivery using MrBig with the following content:

green
Fake citrix test
users: 49

The "green" is the first line in the file being sent across to the Xymon server and the generated web page looks okay.  Also tried messaging using "users 49" in case the Xymon citrix parser was not NCV based.

I figure this should process against the stock TEST2RRD definition of citrix on the Xymon server and per the graphs.cfg citrix stanza, looks like the graphing is operating on a users: <number> data set coming in. Not concerned at this point with graphing since the rrd itself is not being created but was concerned that the xymond_rrd code may only be processing against specific citrix value of users

I have turned on debugging with the tasks.cfg entry for the rrd-status xymond_rrd to include "--no-cache --debug". I see the windows client delivering the citrix update and the xymond_rrd is reporting seeing the client-citrix message in the rrd-status.log - but nothing else, no creating or updating of a rrd file under <client>/citrix.rrd. The other rrd files are updating and am getting updated web pages for the client citrix message.

Have bounced the xymon server ad nauseum, twiddling thumbs for upwards of an hour waiting for rrd file to be created, bouncing the MrBig client too.

Are there any additional debug settings for the xymond_rrd channel to get more detail on what is being done with the client-citrix message?

What I am after is a using a modified version of Galen Johnson's termuser.pl on Xymonton - wanted to add additional line for tracking disconnected user sessions.