[Xymon] Invalid XML

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Wed Feb 18 16:30:51 CET 2015

On Wed, February 18, 2015 2:15 am, Jason Jones wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Just thought we'd flag this - on some tests when the status is red the XML
> being returned has an invalid character.
>
> I've tried (unsuccessfully) checking for release notes to see if this has
> been addressed previously but couldn't find anything (apologies in advance
> if it has been fixed previously).
>
> See the XML below - the issue is on the CDATA line just after the €
> symbol
>
> <ServerStatus>
>         <ServerName>[hostname]</ServerName>
>         <Type>http</Type>
>         <Status>red</Status>
>         <TestFlags></TestFlags>
>         <LastChange>Fri Feb 13 17:08:14 2015</LastChange>
>         <LogTime>Fri Feb 13 17:11:14 2015</LogTime>
>         <ValidTime>Fri Feb 13 17:41:14 2015</ValidTime>
>         <AckTime>N/A</AckTime>
>         <DisableTime>N/A</DisableTime>
>         <Sender>10.1.1.200</Sender> <Cookie>148280</Cookie>
>         <MessageSummary>
>                 <![CDATA[status+30 [hostname].http red Fri Feb 13 17:11:14
> 2015: €]]>
>         </MessageSummary>
> </ServerStatus>
>
> We are currently running 4.3.18. If you need any more information please
> let us know.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Jason.
>
> Jason Jones
> Senior Analyst/Developer

Interesting.

Can you tell us if the errant XML occurs on all xymondx queries coming
back, or just 'http' results? And all http results, or just this
particular one?

The text where the corruption is should be the post-HTTP Status response
code text, if a connection was possible, or a string with certain types of
connection issues (eg, 'No route to host'), if not. It's possible
something is getting through corrupted. Is it a standard http server on
the other end?

Also, can you pipe this through "cat -A"?

Regards,

-jc