[Xymon] Externals Script

John Tullis john at executech.com
Tue Feb 10 01:27:15 CET 2015

I am managing a XYMON server of about 500 servers across different locations and networks. We've made the setup work well but I'm not starting to experiment with externals scripts. Because our network is so spread out, we have configured each host to have a unique hostname set up in the config file on each host using the pattern: servername.companyname.  This isn't an issue until I need to feed the hostname back to the server in a custom script. Is there anything in bbwin.exe that will let me query for the hostname set in the .\etc\bbwin.cfg file and spit it out somewhere?

I've also found a way to use findstr to look for the hostname line in the file but am having trouble using batch to remove everything from the line than just the hostname. It's returning  <setting name="hostname" value="servername.companyname" /> but I don't have enough experience to narrow it down any further than that (primarily through batch files).

Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,

John