[Xymon] Advantages of Xymon vs Nagios?

Berkley, Simeon sberkley at mcclatchyinteractive.com
Mon Feb 9 16:21:03 CET 2015

I recently switched from an environment that was Xymon-monitored to a
smaller one that used Nagios at a different job. After giving their
existing Nagios installation a chance and attempting to get it to do
the things that Xymon does out-of-the-box (graphing mainly), I prefer
Xymon. I did enjoy the oo design of Nagios' config files, though I ran
into some weird precedence issues that weren't adequately explained by
the documentation I had, which included a decent Nagios book. I've
never needed a book for Xymon, the man pages that come with it are
sufficient and the community helpful.

Now I'm back at the previous job, using Xymon again. The only thing I
could say I miss about Nagios is the flexibility/extensibility of the
configuration, though that could get more than a little annoying to
debug. The two graphing solutions that I tried for Nagios never quite
worked, were hard to debug, and didn't seem to have an active user
community.

--
Simeon Berkley
Senior Systems Engineer