[Xymon] Please welcome the new Xymon v4 maintainer: J.C. Cleaver

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Feb 3 16:13:17 CET 2015

Hi,

it is my great pleasure to announce that Xymon now has a new maintainer
of the version 4 (production) branch: J.C. Cleaver.

jc has been active in Xymon work for quite some time - he is perhaps
best know for his work on the Xymon RPM packages available on
terabithia.org. He has also been trying to feed a number of patches into
the Xymon project, which hasn't worked as well as it should due to my
being slow. So last year I suggested that we could split the work
between us - jc taking over the version 4 branch, and myself working on
the upcoming version 5.

And that is what we are now implementing, starting with the release of
version 4.3.18 which jc will be announcing shortly.

Just to avoid any confusion: All of the Xymon "infrastructure" continues
unchanged - the mailing list stays where it is, the xymon.com website
will still be running, and the Sourceforge project stays remains the
primary distribution site for new releases. I will also still be leading
the developments in version 5 - hopefully I can start moving this
forward, now that I don't have to attend so much to the production branch.

But this truly is a watedshed event for me. Xymon has been my "baby"
since it all began in november 2002 - back when it was called "bbgen"
and could only do a tiny bit of what Xymon is capable of today. My
original announcement of version 1.0 is still online at
http://support.bb4.com/bbd/archive/200211/msg00027.html ... Thanks to
CSC giving me time to work on Xymon, it evolved into what is is today.
But since I changed job in mid-2013 I have not been using Xymon in my
daily job - and that means my time to work on Xymon has been quite
limited. As a consequence, the development work has mostly been at a
standstill.

It is the ultimate responsibility of an Open Source project lead to
acknowledge when you must hand over the project to someone else. jc
taking over the responsibility for version 4 is an important step along
the way to make sure that Xymon will continue as a live project, and I
am very grateful that he is willing to contribute time and effort to the
project. And I know he has a lot of ideas and plans for making it even
better.

So please welcome jc as the new head of Xymon version 4!

Best regards,