[Xymon] "msgs" alerts, sending 10240 bytes and line-buffering

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Fri Aug 28 04:27:00 CEST 2015

On 28 August 2015 at 10:00, Greg Earle <earle at isolar.dyndns.org> wrote:

> Do I need to restart all of my Solaris clients to pick up this
> (server-side)
> change?  (viz. "it will also download a copy of it's (section) of the file
> and apply that for future status updates")

No restart required.  Each time a client connects to the Xymon server and
sends its client data, the server then sends the relevant section in
client-local.cfg, and this gets stored on the client in XYMONTMP (typically
~xymon/client/tmp/) in a file called logfetch.$MACHINEDOTS.cfg.  Have a
look for this file, check its contents, and see if it's what you configured
in client-local.cfg.  In particular, look for the 10240 value for the
"log:" line having being changed, and also any "ignore" qualifier lines
you've configured.

As you probably know, the Xymon client runs every 5 minutes.  Because the
logfetch.*.cfg file is fetched during the client data reporting run, it can
take up to 5 minutes for this file to reflect the relevant section in
client-local.cfg on the server.  This newly fetched file will be actioned
on the next client data reporting run, which is 5 minutes later.  So
changes on the server will be made manifest from 5 to 10 minutes later.

Cheers
Jeremy