[Xymon] Xymon Digest, Vol 55, Issue 21

Greg Earle earle at isolar.DynDNS.ORG
Tue Aug 25 12:35:31 CEST 2015

> On Aug 25, 2015, at 1:13 PM, Jeremy Laidman wrote:
>
> You might be right that the message is being clipped.  If so, you should
> see Xymon log messages to that effect.

Thanks Jeremy, where in the logs exactly?  Do I grep for "clipped"?  :-)

> Perhaps add the IGNORE clause to the client-local.cfg message instead.
> This will cause the messages to be dropped at the client side.  Not only
> can you forget about these messages on the Xymon server, but also you're
> less likely to have a clipped message.  Like so:
>
> [sunos]
> log:/var/adm/messages:10240
> ignore refused connect from itsecurity-scanner.my.do.main

Excellent idea - hadn't thought of th... wait, hang on.  The only place I
have a "client-local.cfg" file is on my *server*, not on any of my clients.

On Red Hat I've been using the Terabithia RPMs (where it comes in the main
"xymon" RPM, not in the "xymon-client" or "xymon-client-local" RPMs), and on
Solaris I built my my own Solaris (built via "./configure --client") package:

myorgsun6:1:158 [/var/spool/pkg] # ls -Ll xymon-4.3.21-sol10-sparc-opt.pkg
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      8636416 Aug 17 20:01 xymon-4.3.21-sol10-sparc-opt.pkg

The only things that get bundled in to a "make client" side build on Solaris
are etc/clientlaunch.cfg, etc/localclient.cfg and etc/xymonclient.cfg.  No
client-local.cfg to be seen anywhere.

Can I just drop one into etc and it'll automatically be picked up upon Xymon
restart?

If I put it on the client side, will it have any effect if I have the systems
set up to play dumb client and not do any client-side processing, just sending
all of the data across to the (Red Hat) server?  I had the impression that
only "xymond" cared about "client-local.cfg".

> You could also increase the maximum from 10240.

I'll try doubling it.  Hopefully that won't affect server-side performance
too much.  I've got a good fast machine on that end.

Cheers,

	- Greg