[Xymon] Question: alternative(s) to sms/mms gateways

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Tue Aug 25 04:19:49 CEST 2015

I've considered using Pushbullet for this.  It seems to have a good API,
and I already use Pushbullet for device-to-device sharing.  My concern
about Pushbullet is that there is no delegation capability nor can access
be granular.  So my passphrase needs to be stored on the Xymon server, and
anyone who gets hold of this can do anything with my Pushbullet account.

Pushover might have more granular security for these sorts of things.  But
a quick scan of their website indicates that there's only one user key for
everything.  PushBullet has been very responsive to feedback, so I might
suggest some enhancements to their API.

Of course this all fails if the Internet link is down.  This is also a risk
if email-to-SMS gateways are used, or if you rely on receiving email alerts
on your mobile device.  Hence locally-connected SMS gateways are preferred
for some.  These are typically mobile phones connected by cable, or GSM/3G
USB devices, or network-connected paging appliances.  In days of old,
modems could be used to dial up a carrier's "TAP" service to send SMS
messages, but many carriers no longer provide such a service and have
moved either to a web-based service or nothing.

For good coverage of the options, see the threads here:
  http://lists.xymon.com/archive/2014-January/038693.html

Cheers
Jeremy