[Xymon] Why IGNORE HOST and EXHOST work differently with UNMATCHED?

Märt Laak mart.laak at active.ee
Mon Aug 3 21:04:39 CEST 2015

Thank you for explaining things, Jeremy!

But don't you think this behavior can easily lead to unwanted non-alerting?

And, more important, IMHO makes impossible to exclude alerts based
multiple types together.

Consider if admin does not want to be alerted on somehost.someservice.
How to configure that?

Fe. This does not work:
---
HOST=* EXHOST=somehost EXSERVICE=someservice
   MAIL admin at domain.com

HOST=*
   MAIL supervisor at domain.com UNMATCHED
---
Using this construction admin does not get alert on
somehost.someotherservice, not to mention that all other host
someservice-s are also ignored. However, supervisor gets alerted correctly.

I could rewrite this so that admin is happy:
---
HOST=*
   IGNORE HOST=somehost SERVICE=someservice
   MAIL admin at domain.com

HOST=*
   MAIL supervisor at domain.com UNMATCHED
---
But in this case supervisor is not happy, as he gets no alerts when
nobody is alerted (as he expects by UNMATCHED) - on somehost.someservice
nobody gets alerted.

So please help me how to configure alerts in this situation?

With kindest regards,
Märt