[Xymon] SPLITNCV and graphs

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Fri Apr 17 09:30:55 CEST 2015

The "heartbeat" determines how long RRD will wait (in seconds) before it
mis-trust the next value received.  It relates to the "step".  It's a bit
complicated, but check out the man page for rrdcreate for a good
explanation.

On 17 April 2015 at 13:25, Ralph Mitchell <ralphmitchell at gmail.com> wrote:

> You probably need to create the RRDs manually.

If the RRD file already exists, you can adjust the heartbeat using
"rrdtune".

There are some RRD parameters you can pre-set in the rrddefinitions.cfg
file, to override the defaults for creating new RRD files.  Unfortunately,
the heartbeat doesn't appear to be one of them, but "step" is, if that
helps.

If you use the "more advanced" method of feeding data in, using "trends"
messages, then you can specify the heartbeat, as well as min and max, when
you send the data samples.  The very first time Xymon receives a trends
message, it will create the RRD file with the given heartbeat/min/max, but
these will (I think) be ignored for all subsequent updates.

I think the moral of the story is that if you want maximum flexibility,
create a trends message (as well as a status message if required).  If you
want standard RRD files and parameters, use "NCV".  If you want to display
non-data with colons and equals, use "devmon".