[Xymon] SPLITNCV and graphs

W.J.M. Nelis Wim.Nelis at nlr.nl
Thu Apr 16 08:58:49 CEST 2015

Hello,

> I'm trying to add a new graph to a test using NCV (SPLITNCV actually).  I
> read through the graphing tips, I read several emails that provided hints
> (not my exact problem but nudged me the right way)...
>
> long story short.   I finally got he graph to show up on my test
> page...but the rrd file doesn't seem to be populating the fields as
> expected when I run "rrdtool dump".  The only thing I can figure is that
> the test I'm performing doesn't run every 5 minutes but every 15
> minutes.  Does that matter?  I would have expected in the worst case that
> only every 3rd row would have a value.
>
> What am I missing here?  Note, I dropped my test to run every 5 minutes
> to see if this theory is true.
Is the DS type DERIVE or COUNTER? In that case two successive samples,
which are 5 minutes apart, are needed to create one data point in the graph.

> As a side note, it would be extremely helpful if the NCV component didn't
> look at the entire status but required a comment block (for example) to
> contain it.  That way you could keep your data stream isolated from your
> message.  For example:
>
> <!-- NCV data
> metric1: 123
> metric2: 456
> etc
> -->
Perhaps you can use the devmon format, which encapsulates the data to trend
in an HTML comment section. In that case, one would have to specify
"test=devmon" in stead of "test=ncv" in variable TEST2RRD. There is no need
for an NCV_Something variable, as the DS definition is included with the
data to trend.

> My test kept creating an rrd file for a date string that was part of the
> status message.  That's a bit annoying.

There are (at least) two ways to circumvent that problem:
  A) Add "*:NONE" to the NCV_Something variable;
  B) Replace all occurrences of ":" and "=" outside the NCV part by their
HTML equivalent, thus ":" and "=".

Regards,
   Wim Nelis.