[Xymon] leaking memory, alerts.cfg problems

Tres Finocchiaro tres.finocchiaro at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 14:37:03 CEST 2014

@Jeremy,

> This is a bug in Samba.  Refer:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+bug/1257186
>
> This is entirely unrelated to Xymon.

Terrific, thank you.

> If you don't have "telnet" listed for a host/device in hosts.cfg, or in
> the ".default." entry, then Xymon should not include it in its service
> checks.

 OK, this is where I'm struggling.  We have a separate host group for our
switches:

group-sorted UFIRST Switches
> 0.0.0.0         .default.       # NOCOLUMNS:telnet
> 192.168.0.5      SWITCH1        # ssh

But originally had had:

192.168.0.5      SWITCH1        # telnet

We followed the instructions for purging the history:

xymon 127.0.0.1 "drop SWITCH1 telnet"

But we still received alerts.

red  Wed Sep  3 09:26:38 2014 telnet NOT ok
> Service telnet on SWITCH1 is not OK : Service unavailable (Connection
> refused)
> Seconds: 0.00

So I tried filtering it in the alerts.cfg:

HOST=%* SERVICE=%*
>         MAIL tres at company.local EXSERVICE=telnet

But now we aren't receiving any alerts at all.

To verify it's not an email settings:

mail -s "Test Email" tres at company.local < /dev/null

Which succeeds.

The only part I did not mention is that some of our hosts were renamed from
lowercase to uppercase for aesthetics.