[Xymon] duration of MSG red status

Bill Arlofski waa-hobbitml at revpol.com
Mon Oct 27 23:58:28 CET 2014

On 10/27/2014 04:45 PM, Jeremy Laidman wrote:
> On 27 October 2014 01:26, Bill Arlofski <waa-hobbitml at revpol.com> wrote:
>
>> I have not tested this, but it would seem to indicate that it would cause
>> the
>> client to send the Xymon server all the lines that match the trigger
>> pattern
>> (regardless of how far back in time they go in the logfile) which should
>> cause
>> the test to stay non-green until the logfile is rotated and no more lines
>> with
>> the trigger pattern exist.
>>

> I haven't verified this, but my understanding of how the "logfetch" process
> works is that it keeps state of where it got up to in each logfile, and for
> the next (5 minute) round, it starts looking for matches only from that
> point onwards.  This means, if there's a trigger match in the log file, the
> client will send it to the server in that round only.

Yes, my testing over the weekend seemed to indicate that as well. JC Cleaver
described the process pretty clearly too.

My problem is that the log file in my example gets appended once/night, and
there are plenty of lines with the "trigger" I am needing to alert on - in
other words, the log is pretty static, and when the problem exists, it will
exists until the next run 24 hours later and I would want to keep that Xymon
msgs test yellow until it actually cleared up, not based on an arbitrary 6 x 5
minute client reports.

Since the msgs test works as you and JC have described, I guess my only option
would be to write a short client-side "ZimbraLicense" test which would check
the log for the trigger text, and set test color accordingly.

Other ideas?   Can I somehow hammer this square peg into a round hole?

:)

Thanks!

Bill

--