[Xymon] Returning configuration information to the clients

Gregory J. DeCecco turranx at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 27 22:09:56 CET 2014

The documentation online gives the schema of the first line of a “client” command like this:

	client[/COLLECTORID] HOSTNAME.OSTYPE [HOSTCLASS]

I've seen scripts generate "client" lines like these:

	client name-of-server.example.com.linux linux
	client name-of-server.example.com.bbwin win32
	client name-of-server.example.com.bbwin win32 XymonPS v1.6

Strictly speaking, "bbwin" isn't an OS Type so it shouldn't be in that position, correct?
Whereas, "win32" *is* an OS Type so it should be right next to the host name, correct?
Exactly what is a "hostclass"? Are they hard-coded values?

Perhaps what I need is for someone to point me towards the Xymon service source code that parses the incoming messages from clients and I can read how it's handled myself.

You might be wondering why I'm overly concerned with the specifics of this command.  It's because I am writing documentation for Xymon.  Open source documentation is rarely up to date with the code.

Thank you for your time and assistance.