[Xymon] Returning configuration information to the clients

David Baldwin david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au
Mon Oct 27 02:59:14 CET 2014

Greg,

The "config" command simply downloads a complete file, so "config
client-local.cfg" should give you the complete file.

The specific section of the file client-local.cfg is returned only when
a client reports using the "client" command (not "status") - the section
returned depends on the client name and OS it's running - if an exact
match on name exists that section is returned, otherwise the section
matching the client OS reported (e.g. win32, linux, etc).

David.

> I’ve been doing research into the communications protocol used by
> Xymon and her clients.  I am using the Windows PowerShell client found
> here:  http://sourceforge.net/p/xymon/code/HEAD/tree/sandbox/WinPSClient/
>

> I’ve read a man page for bb:
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man1/hobbit.1.html
>
> QUOTE:
>
> " config FILENAME
>
>               Retrieve  one of the Hobbit configuration files from the
> server.
>
>               This command allows a client to pull files from the
> $BBHOME/etc/
>
>               directory  on the server, allowing for semi-automatic
> updates of
>
>               the client configuration.  Since  the  configuration
> files  are
>
>               designed  to  have  a  common  file for the
> configuration of all
>
>               hosts in the system - and this is in fact the
> recommended way of
>
>               configuring  your  clients  -  this  makes it easier to
> keep the
>
>               configuration files synchronized.”
>

> Using this information, I was able to execute this command…
>

> PS> XymonSend “config client-local.cfg” “<xymon_server_name>”
>

> … on a Windows server, inside a PowerShell window, and the entire,
> unedited ‘client-local.cfg’ file was displayed on screen.  This is good.
>

> Then I read the following in the Client-Local.cfg man page:
> http://xymon.sourceforge.net/xymon/help/manpages/man5/client-local.cfg.5.html
>
> QUOTE:
>
> “The client-local.cfg file resides on the Xymon server.  When clients
> connect to the Xymon server to send in their client data, they will
> receive part of this file back from the Xymon server. The
> configuration received by the client is then used the next time the
> client runs.“
>

> It sounds like the Xymon server will accept a status message from the
> client, then parse the message for OS type, host name, etc…  then
> parse the client-local.cfg file and find the lines that are applicable
> to the client (based upon OS type, host name, etc.) and return those
> to the client.  None of my clients are receiving a response from the
> Xymon server containing configuration data.  I’ve tried to construct
> some messages to simulate an upload from a linux host, a win32 host,
> and a hp-ux hosts (all of which have entries in client-local.cfg), but
> I never get a reply containing configuration data from the Xymon server.
>

> Can someone tell me what should be happening and how to simulate it?
>

> Thank you very much for your time and assistance.
>

> ~Greg

David Baldwin - Senior Systems Administrator (Datacentres + Networks)
Information and Communication Technology Services
Australian Sports Commission          http://ausport.gov.au
Tel 02 62147266 Fax 02 62141830       PO Box 176 Belconnen ACT 2616
david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au          1 Leverrier Street Bruce ACT 2617
Our Values: RESPECT + INTEGRITY + TEAMWORK + EXCELLENCE

Keep up to date with what's happening in Australian sport visit http://www.ausport.gov.au

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.