[Xymon] Returning configuration information to the clients

Gregory J. DeCecco turranx at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 23 19:56:14 CEST 2014

I've been doing research into the communications protocol used by Xymon and
her clients.  I am using the Windows PowerShell client found here:
http://sourceforge.net/p/xymon/code/HEAD/tree/sandbox/WinPSClient/

I've read a man page for bb:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man1/hobbit.1.html

QUOTE:

" config FILENAME

              Retrieve  one of the Hobbit configuration files from the
server.

              This command allows a client to pull files from the
$BBHOME/etc/

              directory  on the server, allowing for semi-automatic updates
of

              the client configuration.  Since  the  configuration  files
are

              designed  to  have  a  common  file for the configuration of
all

              hosts in the system - and this is in fact the recommended way
of

              configuring  your  clients  -  this  makes it easier to keep
the

              configuration files synchronized."

Using this information, I was able to execute this command.

PS> XymonSend "config client-local.cfg" "<xymon_server_name>"

. on a Windows server, inside a PowerShell window, and the entire, unedited
'client-local.cfg' file was displayed on screen.  This is good.

Then I read the following in the Client-Local.cfg man page:
http://xymon.sourceforge.net/xymon/help/manpages/man5/client-local.cfg.5.htm

QUOTE:

"The client-local.cfg file resides on the Xymon server.  When clients
connect to the Xymon server to send in their client data, they will receive
part of this file back from the Xymon server. The configuration received by
the client is then used the next time the client runs."

It sounds like the Xymon server will accept a status message from the
client, then parse the message for OS type, host name, etc.  then parse the
client-local.cfg file and find the lines that are applicable to the client
(based upon OS type, host name, etc.) and return those to the client.  None
of my clients are receiving a response from the Xymon server containing
configuration data.  I've tried to construct some messages to simulate an
upload from a linux host, a win32 host, and a hp-ux hosts (all of which have
entries in client-local.cfg), but I never get a reply containing
configuration data from the Xymon server.

Can someone tell me what should be happening and how to simulate it?

Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

~Greg