[Xymon] Modify email notification template?

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Fri Oct 17 20:53:40 CEST 2014

On Fri, October 17, 2014 11:06 am, Rob Robertson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a way to modify the default email notification template on xymon
> 4.3.17 so that multiple items within the same monitored category are
> listed
> one per line?
>
> For example, when monitoring multiple processes, the email alert will list
> them in one long string, as opposed to breaking them apart on separate
> lines. If you have a lot of processes it's hard to tell which one cause
> the
> alert at first look.
>
> I've searched the documentation and the web, but found no obvious way to
> fix this besides using a custom external script to rewrite the message.
> Which is doable, but sounds like we just need a line break between each
> item so it's easier to read.
>
> What we have now in the default email alert:
> host,domain,net.procs red Fri Oct 17 13:34:50 EDT 2014 - Processes NOT ok
> &green sshd (found 1, req. between 1 and 1) &red Proc1 (found 0, req.
> between 1 and 1) &red Proc2 (found 0, req. between 1 and 1) &green Proc3
> (found 2, req. 2 or more) &green Proc4 (found 1, req. between 1 and 1)
> &green Proc5 (found 1, req. between 1 and 1) &green Proc6 (found 2, req.
> between 2 and 2) &green Proc7 (found 4, req. 4 or more) &green Proc8
> (found
> 1, req. between 1 and 1) &green Proc9 (found 1, req. between 1 and 1)
>
> What we would like to have:
> host,domain,net.procs red Fri Oct 17 13:34:50 EDT 2014 - Processes NOT ok
> &green sshd (found 1, req. between 1 and 1)
> &red Proc1 (found 0, req. between 1 and 1)
> &red Proc2 (found 0, req. between 1 and 1)
> &green Proc3 (found 2, req. 2 or more)
> &green Proc4 (found 1, req. between 1 and 1)
> &green Proc5 (found 1, req. between 1 and 1)
> &green Proc6 (found 2, req. between 2 and 2)
> &green Proc7 (found 4, req. 4 or more)
> &green Proc8 (found 1, req. between 1 and 1)
> &green Proc9 (found 1, req. between 1 and 1)
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated.

Rob,

Although a custom email template would definitely be useful, I think there
might be something else going on here. Email notifications for the 'procs'
test come through for me as one on each line. Is there anything unusual
about the Content-type MIME header coming through? Are you using any
special FORMATs in the alerts.cfg file (like 'TEXT' or 'PLAIN')?

Regards,
-jc