[Xymon] Flapping Status? What does it mean?

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Thu Oct 16 04:32:09 CEST 2014

On 16 October 2014 10:35, Maik Heinelt <maik at vegasystems.com> wrote:

> We recently migrated our Hobbit 4.2 server to Xymon 4.3.18.
> For some some clients, I noticed a warning "Xymon WARNING: Flapping
> status".
> What is flapping status?

A flapping status is set when Xymon detects that a test for one server goes
into and out of a normal state too often.  Rather than logging hundreds of
red/green/red/green events, it correlates them together into a "flapping"
state for a while.

The default flap count threshold is 5, and the default flap-seconds
threshold is 30 minutes.  That means if a test flip/flops more than 5 times
in 30 seconds or less, the test will go into a flapping state.

More information about flapping detection and behaviour is in the xymond(8)
man page.  Here's a link:

http://xymon.sourceforge.net/xymon/help/manpages/man8/xymond.8.html

> how to avoid, but not disable it?

You have a few options:
1) fix the service or test so that it doesn't go red
2) increase values for flap-seconds and flap-count by adding the relevant
arguments to the xymond execution (in the [xymond] section of tasks.cfg)
3) use the delay-red option for xymond (in tasks.cfg), or set delayred or
delayyellow for the host (in hosts.cfg)