[Xymon] Strange disk test condition

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Mar 26 13:08:14 CET 2014

Den 2014-03-26 7:16, Novosielski, Ryan skrev:
> I run Xymon 4.3.12. I see I had an alert from a server earlier
> tonight at 99% of / full. However, it is 66% now and no evidence that
> this ever happened on the graph of that filesystem. Is it possible
> for
> a disk to fill for a very short period and never hit the graph? I
> don't know what could have even done that.

It is possible, if the change is very large, and it only lasts for a
very brief time.

Graphs are handled by rrdtool, which "smoothes out" large changes in
values. So if the 99% only lasted for a single poll (5 minutes) and it
has now settled at 66%, then it is quite likely that you will see the
disk graph going up over a couple of samples to reach the 66% line (try
zooming in on the time around the peak).