[Xymon] Log file monitoring

Andy Smith abs at shadymint.com
Tue Mar 4 08:23:28 CET 2014

HernĂ¡n Berman wrote:
> hi guys, to analize logs you can use "sec.pl <http://sec.pl>" this is a
> powerful open source tool
>
> http://simple-evcorr.sourceforge.net/
>
> Regards
> HB
>

> On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 10:17 AM, Neil Simmonds
> <neilsimmonds1808 at gmail.com <mailto:neilsimmonds1808 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,____
>
>     __ __
>
>     As far as I can see there is no built in way in Xymon to monitor a
>     log for the number of times a string has occurred in a specified
>     time period. Is this something that other people would find useful?
>     (even if it was only a count of occurrences within the last 30
>     minutes and not a configurable time). ____
>
>     __ __
>
>     Is there any chance something like this may be in a future release
>     Henrik?____
>
>     __ __
>
>     __ __
>
>     *Regards,*____
>
>      ____
>
>     *Neil Simmonds*____

We also make use of the Simple Event Corrulator both on clients to
analyze fast moving logs (and/or logs in real time) and also on the
Xymon Server to analyze trap logs in the manner of
http://cerebro.victoriacollege.edu/hobbit-trap.html (which is linked
under Tips and Tricks on the Help pages).

We have a perl module that can be integrated with SEC which makes it
possible to install SEC on clients completely independently from any
Xymon Client software if necessary.

It is still a pain having to manage SEC rules locally on every client,
but you can overcome this by keeping the rules on the Xymon server and
use the Xymon download command from within SEC to keep these in sync.

--
Andy