[Xymon] alerting issue?

henrik at hswn.dk henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Jan 22 09:52:05 CET 2014

Den 22.01.2014 00:55, Gavin Stone-Tolcher skrev:
> Thanks, I will patch our systems with this today.
>
> Is there a reliable way of reproducing the issue? My test case
> appeared to work OK unlike the documented failure case.

I setup a test installation with the settings from your original
report, just modified so the TIME restriction on the second alert was 15
minutes after I started Xymon. So the first alert fired while the TIME
restriction was active on the second alert. The second alert then failed
to trigger.

The heart of the problem is that when the first alert triggers, Xymon
sets a timestamp for the next time it should send an alert - and since
the alert that triggered has a "REPEAT=1w" setting, then xymond_alert
ignores the event for a week. It simply fails to take into account that
there is another recipient defined which triggers before that time. So
the circumstances required to hit this bug are

1) you need two or more recipients for an alert
2) you must have a REPEAT setting of more than 24 hours
3) one of the recipients must have a TIME restriction which disables
alerts when the event first triggers.