[Xymon] .cfg mods during upgrade

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Tue Feb 25 02:37:29 CET 2014

I'm looking at the 4.3.17 release (Thank you, Herick) I was able to
build and install without an errors (even on Solaris!).

It all worked out, but I noticed a few configuration files needed a
little help and I'm looking for guidance regarding best-practice with these.

:: protocols.cfg ::
I have modified a few of the stock protocols. My modifications were
moved to the bottom and the stock entries were re-inserted.

For example, I have created column-aliases for a test with:
> #  Create an alias to reduce confusion with ldap query tests
> [ldap|ldapPort]
>    port 389

and after the version upgrade, my file contains:
> [ldap]
>    port 389
> [ldap|ldapPort]
>    port 389

I just edited the file, removed the re-inserted lines, and replaced my
comment line. What is the suggested way to handle this? Even if just
leaving the dual entries is acceptable, I've lost my comments so my
future-self will be confused.

:: tasks.cfg ::
Almost the same as protocols, but I discovered the tasks.d directory and
I've moved my tasks into a file in that location. Should I expect files
there to remain un-touched during upgrades?

:: graphs.cfg ::
Just like protocols.cfg. My new lines are present but my comments have
been stripped. I can re-insert them, but should I expect to do this step
with each upgrade?
I haven't studied source on this yet. Is there a similar "directory"
directive for graphs?

:: xymonserver.cfg ::
Arrgh. My comments are gone! Is there some way to flag the comments for
retention, or do I need to relocate them to massive README in another
directory.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services