[Xymon] Bug in handling of Windows services

Neil Simmonds Neil.Simmonds at express-gifts.co.uk
Thu Feb 6 14:09:09 CET 2014

I’ve done further testing on the Windows service reporting issue now and found that the format of analysis.cfg entries don’t seem to matter, they can be status= startup= or startup= status= or just status= and in all cases I get the color change but not the message change.

However, if I restart the server when the state has changed then the next client data send changes the messages, however if I then change the state of the services the message doesn’t change with the color again until I restart the server. I tested this on 2 different servers (1 running BBWin and 1 running XymonPSClient) and the results are below.

State was stopped, Analysis.cfg is,

        SVC AdobeARMservice startup=automatic status=started
        SVC CentennialClientAgent status=started
        SVC CentennialIPTransferAgent status=started startup=automatic

Services started and this is seen

green AdobeARMservice is stopped/automatic - want started/automatic
green CentennialClientAgent is stopped/automatic - want started/automatic
green CentennialIPTransferAgent is stopped/automatic - want started/automatic

State was started, Analysis.cfg is this,

        SVC Connect_Direct_v4.6.00 startup=automatic status=started
        SVC Spooler startup=automatic status=started
        SVC RemoteRegistry startup=automatic status=started

Services stopped and this is seen,

red Connect_Direct_v4.6.00 is started/automatic - want started/automatic
red Spooler is started/automatic - want started/automatic
red RemoteRegistry is started/automatic - want started/automatic

Restart server and the following are displayed for the 2 sets

green AdobeARMservice is started/automatic - want started/automatic
green CentennialClientAgent is started/automatic - want started/Any
green CentennialIPTransferAgent is started/automatic - want started/automatic

red Connect_Direct_v4.6.00 is stopped/automatic - want started/automatic
red Spooler is stopped/automatic - want started/automatic
red RemoteRegistry is stopped/automatic - want started/automatic

Restart bottom 3 services and I get,

green Connect_Direct_v4.6.00 is stopped/automatic - want started/automatic
green Spooler is stopped/automatic - want started/automatic
green RemoteRegistry is stopped/automatic - want started/automatic

Restart server and next time client data is received I get

green Connect_Direct_v4.6.00 is started/automatic - want started/automatic
green Spooler is started/automatic - want started/automatic
green RemoteRegistry is started/automatic - want started/automatic

both hosts just have the ip address, host name and “# CLASS:win32” in hosts.cfg