[Xymon] Two columns (tests), one graph?

Bill Arlofski waa-hobbitml at revpol.com
Tue Feb 4 14:43:11 CET 2014

On 02/02/14 11:12, Henrik Størner wrote:
> Den 01-02-2014 00:36, Bill Arlofski skrev:
>> Hi everyone.
>>
>> Using two custom external scripts, I have Xymon monitoring and graphing 3
>> temperatures from one device and 1 additional temperature from another device.
>>
>> Script(s) exist here: http://www.revpol.com/monitortemp
>>
>> Since the script was written to poll one device and up to 4 temperatures on
>> that device, each device represents one column/test in Xymon with 1 or more
>> temperature graphs using splitnvc.
>>
>> I'd like to combine all 4 temperatures on one graph - without rewriting my
>> external script to poll both devices and report all 4 temps in one report if
>> possible.
>>
>> Any hints, ideas?
>
> You can write a graph definition in graphs.cfg which pulls data from multiple
> RRD files, so it should be fairly simple to have one graph with multiple
> sources representing the various temperatures.
>

> Regards,
> Henrik

Hi Henrik.   Yes, it should be simple, but for some reason I can't seem to
wrap my brain around it.

If I have two tests temp_a and temp_b, and the temp_a device reports back
three temperatures (temp-1, temp-2, and temp-3) which appear on one graph as
defined in graphs.cfg by :

[temp_a]
FNPATTERN temp_a.(.+).rrd
TITLE Device temp_a
YAXIS Fahrenheit
DEF:p at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:lambda:AVERAGE
LINE1.5:p at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:@RRDPARAM@
GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@:LAST: \: %5.1lf (cur)
GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@:MAX: \: %5.1lf (max)
GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@:MIN: \: %5.1lf (min)
GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf (avg)\n

And is viewed by:
http://xymon.example.com/xymon-cgi/svcstatus.sh?HOST=xymon.example.com&SERVICE=temp_a

Can I modify the FNPATTERN to include temp_b.temp-1.rrd, and temp_b.temp-2.rrd
 etc, or do I need to have specific DEF lines for each rrd file I want to
include if they are not from the same test?

OR, I would think it might make more sense to have a new graph that would pull
in just the temperatures from device "temp_a" and device "temp_b" that I would
want on one graph... But then, wouldn't I need to define a new column,/test,
and also specify the new test in xymonserver.cfg's TEST2RRD and GRAPHS lines
as well as add a SPLITNCV_NewGraph-Test="*:GAUGE" line?

I thought I'd spend about 10 minutes on this.. That was five days ago...

So, yeah, it should be simple, but I am really struggling with this one -
while in the middle of other projects etc... lol

Any help, or suggestions on the most logical and sensible way to do this would
be much appreciated. :)

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC