[Xymon] Ignore all log messages

Scot Kreienkamp Scot.Kreienkamp at la-z-boy.com
Wed Dec 3 15:58:09 CET 2014

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any advice on messages logging?  I have a log for postgres that gets so many lines written in a day there's no way it can transfer all of them to the Xymon server.  I don't need any of that traffic anyway.  The only lines I need are ones that contain a few specific words.  So I put this in client-local.cfg:

[servername]
log:/var/log/postgres.log:10240
ignore .*
trigger %(FATAL|Fatal|FAIL|Fail|fail|Error|ERROR|error|Error|timestamp|deadlock|Deadlock|password authentication failed|pg_hba.conf|invalid magic number)
log:/var/log/messages:10240
ignore %(postgres|RMS Printing Subsystem|connection received|disconnection|connection authorized)
trigger %(FAIL|Fail|fail|Error|ERROR|error|Error|timestamp|deadlock|Deadlock|password authentication failed|pg_hba.conf|invalid magic number)
file:/etc/passwd

However, that doesn't seem to produce any log messages from the postgres log even when it should match one of the triggers.  Client and server is version 4.3.17.

I appreciate any ideas anyone has, or if someone has already done this if you could share your config I'd like to see how you did it.

Thanks!

Scot

This message is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. It may contain privileged, confidential information which is exempt from disclosure under applicable laws. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that you are strictly prohibited from disseminating or distributing this information (other than to the intended recipient) or copying this information. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail or by telephone at the above number. Thank you.