[Xymon] Monitoring Directory Permissions

Bill Arlofski waa-hobbitml at revpol.com
Wed Dec 3 02:08:06 CET 2014

On 12/02/2014 06:25 PM, Tim McCloskey wrote:
> I just tested this using file instead of dir.  It works for UNIX (everything is a file), can't speak for windows.  I'm not sure that it is designed or intended to work this way and I doubt you can mix DIR and FILE for the same O/S directory.
>
> analysis.cfg
> # DIR /foo SIZE<8192  SIZE>4096 COLOR=yellow
>  FILE /foo MODE=0644 COLOR=RED TRACK
>  FILE /foo OWNERID=johndoe COLOR=yellow

Hi Tim,

just thought I would respond to your doubts:

"I doubt you can mix DIR and FILE for the same O/S directory."

It turns out, that was actual the test I did.

I was already monitoring a dir for size on a host and just added:

file:/foo (client-local.cfg)

and

FILE /foo MODE=777 yellow (analysis.cfg)

and it worked fine.

Only thing is, on the "files" test page for that host, there are two lines for
/foo:

/foo
/foo
/other/file/name

With no indication as to which one is for which test... but when one goes
nongreen, the reason stated below it makes it clear.

Hope that helps!

Bill

--
Bill Arlofski