[Xymon] Monitoring multiple values

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 05:29:16 CEST 2014

Now that I've had a chance to read the man page, I see I wasn't remembering
it properly.  I thought the last bit:

        # The data
        echo "$TEMP:$WIND:$HMTY:$RAIN"

included the timestamp for the RRD insert.  So, here's another approach
that may work.  Instead of echoing out the data, it could be directly
written to the rrd, like this:

        RRD=/home/xymon/data/rrd/<hostname>/thing.rrd

        TIME=`date +%s`
        MINUS1=`expr $TIME - 60`
        MINUS2=`expr $MINUS1 - 60`
        MINUS3=`expr $MINUS2 - 60`
        MINUS4=`expr $MINUS3 - 60`

        rrdtool update $RRD $MINUS4:$DATA4
        rrdtool update $RRD $MINUS3:$DATA3
        rrdtool update $RRD $MINUS2:$DATA2
        rrdtool update $RRD $MINUS1:$DATA1
        rrdtool update $RRD $TIME:$DATA0

You would need to break out the 5 data points from the original message as
DATA0 through DATA4.  As long as you don't echo out the data values, I
*think* xymond_rrd won't update the rrd for itself.  Even it it does enter
a NaN value, you've just fired off 5 real data points, which ought to be
more significant that the NaN.  By updating the Xymon rrd for the server,
you still get the graphs in the trends column, with multiple time spreads,
zooming, etc.

I hope that makes sense.  I don't have a handy test server to try it out on.

Another possibility, if you (or someone nearby) are handy with C.  The
xymond_sample.c program is included in the Xymon source.  It demonstrates
how to hook into the message flow and process incoming data.  It ought to
be possible to achieve the above rrd updates by receiving the message and
dropping the data points back into the message stream at 60 second
intervals.  Maybe.  You *really* need a spare test server to try that

Ralph Mitchell