[Xymon] xymon-rclient

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Wed Aug 6 22:18:51 CEST 2014

text/xml" --header="SOAPAction: \"http://tlo.com/ComprehensivePersonSearch\""
-O - http://<some vip>/BobService.asmx

> On the previous email, I put 'xxx.com' instead of tlo.com in the wget
call because I didn't want to broadcast my domain name to the world

Sorry, I didn't mean to "out" you. ;-)

> but I don't mind anymore -- so every wget call with have "
http://tlo.com/ComprehensivePersonSearch"
> but on the last http url call it should have the vip of where I'm sending
this xml to; for example "http://vip from bb-host file/BobServices.asmx"

Ah, I see.

-O - http://$2/BobService.asmx" But I'm guessing since we don't need to
change the url for "http://tlo.com/ComprehensivePersonSearch\"
> we don't need the $1, correct?

Correct.

> Also, your script indicated "$BBHOME/bin/bbhostgrep foo | while read IP
HOSTNAME OTHER; do"

The labels "IP", "HOSTNAME" and "OTHER" are labels used by the "read"
command.  What "read" will do is to read one line from stdin and split it
on whitespace into 3 variables. (The output from the bbhostgrep command is
piped as stdin to the while loop to appear, one line at a time, as input to
"read".)  The 3 variables are dynamically created as per the names (ie $IP,
$HOSTNAME and $OTHER). We use OTHER to catch the rest of each line.

To understand a bit better, try this:

echo "a b c d e" | while read X Y Z; do echo "[$X][$Y][$Z]"; done

Then this:

cat /etc/hosts | while read X Y Z; do echo "[$X][$Y][$Z]"; done

> but HOSTNAME is not what I have defined in bb-hosts, I'm using aliases;
for example, 10.218.160.150 is mapped to alias called server1 so I can't use
> the alias for HOSTNAME because this command won't work "$BB $BBDISP
"status $HOSTNAME.$TESTNAME $COL `date` $MSG", am I correct to assume this?

The value of $HOSTNAME will get the second word in the bb-hosts file. I
could have used X, Y, Z instead of IP, HOSTNAME, OTHER, but the code
wouldn't have been as readable.

> So, if my assumptions are correct, how should I correct this script you
wrote to reflect my environment.

I think you would just change the $1 to the domain in your URL. Something
like

-O - http://$2/BobService.asmx