[Xymon] BB to Xymon - "[machine].net stopped reporting (PURPLE)" alerts

Greg Earle earle at isolar.DynDNS.ORG
Wed Apr 16 23:58:03 CEST 2014

Over the past couple of months I've been transitioning my site away
from an old Big Brother installation over to Xymon 4.3.12.

There's only one small problem left that I'm dealing with.  At one
point, I switched the BBDISPLAY server in the Big Brother "bb-hosts"
file from our old (now deprecated) Big Brother server and pointed it
at our new Xymon server.  For awhile both kept on running and only a
few machines had their Big Brother clients restarted in the interim,
which caused them to start reporting in to the Xymon server instead.

Our Big Brother setup used the "netstat.sh" extension to send in
"netstat -i" results to BB.  So these systems that got restarted
began to send the same data to Xymon via their Big Brother client.

Now I've completed the transition and Big Brother has been shut off
everywhere.  As a result for these 4 particular hosts that had BB
restarted, now Xymon is complaining hourly with

Subject: Xymon [NNNNNNN] [machine].net stopped reporting (PURPLE)

messages containing the last "netstat -i" output it received.

I thought the raw data sent from a Xymon client already included
"netstat -i" output, so I thought the server would just get that
info from the clients now?

At any rate, some file(s) somewhere clearly has kept state thinking
it should still be being sent the "netstat -i" output; how do I
track down where they are so I can get these alerts to stop?

Thanks,

	- Greg