[Xymon] alert script timing issue?

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Fri Apr 4 17:51:41 CEST 2014

On Fri, April 4, 2014 8:05 am, Kevin VerMeer wrote:

> Inside the script, it does a few things, one of which is to get the NAME
> associated with the client reporting the issue.
> It does this by:
> STATION=`$XYMON $XYMONSERVERHOSTNAME "hostinfo host=$BBHOSTNAME" | $SED -e
> 's/|/\n/g' | $GREP NAME | $CUT -d: -f2`
>
> I have seen instances where connectivity is lost to several clients at the
> same time, and it appears that this STATION value is getting the same
> value for different lost connections.
>
> For example, if there are 2 clients, with NAME value of STATION1 and
> STATION2, and connectivity is lost to both clients at the same time, the
> SCRIPT is run two times, but each run of the script will get STATION2 as
> the result of the above command.
>
> As there anything wrong with my logic?
> Is there a better/different way to approach this?

Is one of the hostnames a substring of the other one? IIRC, the parameter
sent via "host=" is done as a PCRE match. If you have a whole hostname,
adding \b before or after might help.

You can use "hostinfo clone=$BBHOSTNAME" to do an exact match, which will
also break out data into different lines finally.

Finally, I think $XMH_RAW is available in the environment of scripts from
xymond_alert itself. If so (it might have been a patch -- I forget :/ )
that would save you a callback into xymond for the data.

HTH,

-jc