[Xymon] Missing custom trends graph

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Mon Sep 23 02:44:04 CEST 2013

Hiya

I have a custom graph on the trends page, essentially a duplicate of the
[bind] graph but with a few more record types (eg AAAA, CNAME).  The
extended graph displays correctly if I bring up the "bind" graph in my
browser and change the URL so "bind" becomes "bind-extended".  Or, if I
adjust the graphs.cfg config so that [bind-extended] becomes [bind], then
the trends page shows my new graph format instead (because it comes after
the default [bind] in graphs.cfg).  So I know the graph works just fine.

What I want is for both graphs to display on the trends page, not just the
[bind] graph.  So I've adjusted the TRENDS setting in hosts.cfg, for the
relevant hosts, to include "bind:bind|bind-extended".  Like so:

10.1.1.1 dns1 # testip
noping TRENDS:*,bindstats:bindstats|bindstats1,bind:bind|bind-extended

Of course "bind" is defined in GRAPHS (xymonserver.cfg) as per default, so
that Xymon knows to show it on the trends page - and it does.  However, I
expected that the TRENDS setting would cause "bind-extended" to also be
shown on the trends page.  But it isn't.

Perplexingly (if that's a word) the "bindstats" graph does the right thing.
 I have bindstats RRD files, I have bindstats included in GRAPHS, I have
both [bindstats] and [bindstats1] graph definitions, and I have
"bindstats:bindstats|bindstats1" set in TRENDS for the relevant hosts.  On
the trends graph, I'm shown the graphs for [bindstats] and [bindstats1].

I can't see how my treatment of bindstats and bind are different, yet one
works as per the doco, and the other doesn't.

Any suggestions what I might be doing wrong, or where to look?

Cheers
Jeremy