[Xymon] Possible omission in the ~/client/etc/xymonclient.cfg file?

Martin Davies martin at savcom.co.uk
Sat Sep 7 15:20:04 CEST 2013

Hi.

>From the documentation around the xymonclient.cfg config file it is supposed
to set up the environment for client-side scripts so that they can get hold
of environment variables such as XYMON and XYMSRV (BB & BBDISP in Hobbit
days)

I've just moved from Hobbit to Xymon and I am getting errors on the results
of my scripts because the environment variables I used in Hobbit are not
defined in Xymon.

I think the reason is as follows:

In xymonclient.cfg under Compatibility Settings, BB is defined here:

  BB="$XYMON"

Earlier on in the file XYMON is defined here:

  XYMON="$XYMONHOME/bin/xymon"          # The Xymon client "xymon" utility

And looking further back XYMONHOME is defined here:

  XYMONHOME="$XYMONCLIENTHOME"       # Directory for the Xymon client files

But XYMONCLIENTHOME is not defined anywhere I can find in xymonclient.cfg,
which means ultimately BB is not defined.  Therefore I get the following
from my Perl scripts:

  Use of uninitialized value $ENV{"BB"} in concatenation (.) or string at
./CurlFile.pl line 144.

  Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at ./CurlFile.pl
line 144.

  sh: 8: status Internet.Perf green Sat Sep  7 14:15:16 BST 2013 -  OK

This string breaks the logic of the BB messaging and results in a RED alert
on my monitoring.

I know that XYMONCLIENTHOME is defined in xymonserver.cfg as

  XYMONCLIENTHOME="/home/xymon/client"

Am I right that I should define XYMONCLIENTHOME somewhere in xymonclient.cfg
and that it should be the same as XYMONCLIENTHOME="/home/xymon/client" or is
some other logic broken between xymonserver.cfg and xymonclient.cfg?

Cheers

Martin