[Xymon] Step missing to get XymonPSClient working?

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Tue Nov 12 19:10:24 CET 2013

On 11/12/2013 8:54 AM, Jason Richards Pagh wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I used to run big brother, like 12 – 15 years ago, and now I’m trying to setup Xymon. I’ve got the server side working (at least for pings, telnet checks, etc.), but I can’t seem to get XymonPSClient to work. I’ve downloaded the files from SF, installed the service and it’s running, but it doesn’t seem to be sending any data to my Xymon server. I can verify connectivity with XymonSend from the Windows host, but I don’t see any client logs, nor do I see any added checks on the web page.
>
> Am I supposed to create a local config file on the Windows host? Or do I add something to hosts.cfg on the server?

Do you see your host on /xymon-cgi/ghostlist.sh  ?

Unlike Big Brother, Xymon does not blindly accept client messages from
arbitrary hosts. If you don't add an entry for your client to the
hosts.cfg, your host will be listed as a "ghost" client and messages it
sends will not make it to the web page.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services