[Xymon] BBWincmd

Steff Watkins s.watkins at nhm.ac.uk
Fri May 10 12:48:06 CEST 2013

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 17:31:17 -0500
> From: Scott Post <sjpostsr at gmail.com>
> To: xymon at xymon.com
> Subject: [Xymon] BBWincmd

> However, I have another system that I am testing on at this time, I can't
> install BBWin on, but I have a series of vbscripts that I am running that gather
> the same data and write out a msg.<hostname>.txt for that system.

Hiya Scott,

So you can install BBWin on some systems but not on this one? I'm going to hazard a guess that the one you can't install on is something like a DMZ system or a production system.

If that is the case, then it may be possible that there are some network restrictions/firewall rules between that system and your Xymon server. You can test that by firing up a CMD window/DOS shell on the "to-be-a-client" system  and typing "telnet ip.addr portno" where "ip.addr" is the IP address of your Xymon server and "portno" is the port number that your Xymon server is using. It'll either the screen will go blank (this is good, shows you can connect) or it'll fail.

If it rejects, then either contact your network gurus and request a firewall tunnel for the right port number, or arrange to setup a Xymon proxy on a system on the firewall that can relay from one side to another. Setting up a Xymon proxy is really easy, but check that it's allowable with your local network dudes as they may see it as a "security issue".

> Can someone please help point me in the right direction?

Yeah, drink lots of water, get lots of sleep and use sunscreen! :)

Good luck with getting it set up. It's nearly always worth the hassle.

Regards,
Steff Watkins

-----
Steff Watkins                              Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London,SW75BD
Systems programmer              Email: s.watkins at nhm.ac.uk
Systems Team                            Phone: +44 (0)20 7942 6000 opt 2
 ========
"Many were increasingly of the opinion that they'd all made a big mistake in coming down from the trees in the first place. And some said that even the trees had been a bad move, and that no one should ever have left the oceans." - HHGTTG