[Xymon] manually running custom script not changing the status

Michael Beatty Michael.Beatty at sherwin.com
Thu May 2 18:17:20 CEST 2013

Both the tasks.cfg and clientlaunch.cfg source in the xymon environment
so any processes that are called they have access to the Xymon
environement variables.  Your shell likely does not have access to those
variables.  So when you run your script manually from the shell, if you
are using the $XYMON, $XYMSRV, and $MACHINE environment variables in
your script, the script will not have access to those variables.

In other words, the following command only works if called by xymon, not
if executed from a shell:

$XYMON $XYMSRV "status $MACHINE.$COLUMN $COLOR `date`

My suggestion would be to add logic to the beginning of your script
testing to make sure the $XYMON variable is not blank. If it is blank,
come up with a way to set those variables, either by hard coding them,
or by getting them from another location.

Michael Beatty