[Xymon] BBWin 0.13 memory usage

Richard Finegold goldfndr at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 20:27:34 CET 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 7:43 AM, Neil Simmonds
<Neil.Simmonds at express-gifts.co.uk> wrote:
> I wondered if anyone had noticed anything unusual in the memory usage of
> BBWin 0.13.
> We’ve a number of servers running this version of the client and also a
> number running BBWin 0.12.
> All the 0.12 clients are using less than 10Mb of memory, however some of the
> 0.13 clients are using a lot more (a large number using between 250Mb and
> 400Mb and even one that was using over 1Gb).

I'd noticed what seemed to be a leak when sending large status
messages; somewhere 8700 and 8900 or so bytes was the threshold for a
lack of release, but it wasn't easily reproducible. (The threshold
seemed to be constant within a bbwin service session, but varied
between stops/starts of the bbwin service.) If you look at
http://xymonton.org/monitors:lsmon you'll see my code to work around
this issue: invoking bbwincmd with uploadmessage instead of merely
putting the file in tmpPath when the file is bigger than LEAKYMAX.

More at http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=g2vd6b65a271004230508x38a192c5t296a0eecd38dac25%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=bbwin-help