[Xymon] Monitoring multiple, disconnected sites

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 03:56:45 CET 2013

1) the xymon client script assembles the status report into a file, then
transmits that to the server over port 1984 using the xymon client program.
 You could pipe it through mailx instead, to send it to the xymon server.

2) on the Xymon server, use an email alias to pipe the incoming mail
through a script.  Or use something like procmail to handle it.  Add an
alias like this to /etc/aliases:

     xymonmsg: |/usr/local/bin/xymonmsg.sh

then run "newaliases" to recreate the alias db files.  Any email addressed
to xymonmsg at your.server.com will be piped through that script.

In the email, everything up to the first blank line is a header.  After
that blank line, the remainder is the body of the email, which would be the
xymon report.  That can be broken out and passed through the xymon command.

I've done this to deliver logs, but the principal is sound for xymon
reports as well.

Ralph Mitchell