[Xymon] Monitoring multiple, disconnected sites

Vernon Everett everett.vernon at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 02:30:24 CET 2013

Hi Adam and everybody

You are of course completely correct, and confirmed what I knew, but didn't
really want to accept.

IT people love problem solving within defined limited parameters, so let's
see if we can come up with an elegant solution to this one, because I am
sure I am not the first to encounter this.

The only "connection" I have between the sites, is email.
Is there a way to get the clients to send data to the server via emails?
Alternatively, we could get a local server instance to update the master
server with consolidated data via email.

I am thinking the core of the problem is 2-fold.
1. Send the data via email from client or local server.
2. Receive and interpret the data at server side by parsing the incoming
emails.

Unless I missed something, both these tasks are non-trivial.
Any ideas?

Regards
Vernon

On 15 March 2013 08:53, Adam Goryachev
<mailinglists at websitemanagers.com.au>wrote:

> On 15/03/13 11:19, Vernon Everett wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > Here's an interesting problem that has been put to me.
> > A potential customer has a number of independent IT installations,
> > with no always-on link between them or central IT.
> > If there is an issue at a site, support staff will connect using VPN
> > or Citrix over the interwebs.
> > Is it possible to set up a central Xymon server to monitor these
> > remote sites?
> > If yes, then how?
> > Has anybody done this before?
>
> Do you mean the sites have no "always-on link" like a dial-up connection
> ? or do you mean there is no VPN always on, but they always have working
> Internet?
>
> At the end of the day, if you want to get data out of the network to a
> remote location (whether you use xymon or any other widget), you will
> need to decide how that information gets there. Whether that is via the
> Internet or sneakernet is up to you, but obviously sneakernet will be
> less frequent and a bit more time consuming.
>
> Once you decide on how the data can be transported, it is just a matter
> of working out how to tell xymon to use that transport method. Let us
> know what you come up with, and I'm sure someone will be able to offer
> further advice.
>
> Regards,
> Adam
>
> --
> Adam Goryachev
> Website Managers
> www.websitemanagers.com.au

"Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory"
- General George Patton