[Xymon] rrd network graphs on windows check

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Wed Jun 26 04:18:22 CEST 2013

On 26 June 2013 07:29, B-Art Gillis <bacaselo at gmail.com> wrote:

> But still no graph

Is there an RRD file?  Is there anything interesting in the rrd-data.log
file?

Bear in mind that (unless run with the --no-cache switch) xymond_rrd
doesn't update the RRD file immediately, and instead caches updates for a
period of time (up to 30 minutes).

In my experience, viewing a graph seems to cause xymond_rrd to flush its
cache, so if you're only looking for updates in the RRD file directly, you
might not see new data come in straight away.  But if you're looking at
graphs, you're probably triggering a cache flush anyway.

Where are you looking for the graph?  There might be a delay in the graph
showing up in the trends page, so what I usually do is to click another
graph for the same host, and then change the URL to point at the graph I'm
looking for.  For example, click on the "CPU Load" (load average = "la")
and then change the "la" in the URL to "ifstat".

> client ghostwus.win32
> [ifstat]
> ghostwus 65057048 3838258240

BBWin presents an IP address in the first field (rather than a hostname).
 My review of the do_ifstat.c code indicated that a hostname would probably
be fine, but there could be other bits of code that reject the message
before (or after) it gets to this point.

So I would try adjusting the message so that the IP address of the
interface (or any IP address, for testing) is used instead of the hostname.
 Even 0.0.0.0 would be a reasonable test.

Also, could be worthwhile running client and data channel inspectors at the
same time as you send the message (in separate windows).  Here's what I
would use:

sudo -u xymon xymoncmd xymond_channel --channel=client grep -A10
^@@.*ghostwus
sudo -u xymon xymoncmd xymond_channel --channel=data grep -A10 ^@@.*ghostwus

The first command will show the first 10 lines of any client message that
come from (or contain in their header) "ghostwus".

The second command will match any data messages from same, and you should
see an "ifstat" message possibly among others.  The data message is
generated by the xymond_client process that takes the client messages,
parses them (using the code in do_ifstat.c) and creates the data messages.

The flow goes like this:

windows --(client message)--> xymond --(client channel)--> xymond_client
--(data channel)--> xymond_rrd --> rrdfile

If you're getting the client message but not the data message, then the
problem is somewhere in xymond_client.  Look in the clientdata.log file.
 If you're getting the data messages, it could be something else, like a
permissions problem on the RRD directory, or the xymond_rrd process isn't
running.  Look in the rrd-data.log file.

Cheers
Jeremy