[Xymon] XYMONTMP vs XYMONVAR

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Sat Jun 8 17:36:55 CEST 2013

I've noticed what I believe to be discrepancies between the supplied
configs and documentation. I'm currently the xymon port maintainer on
FreeBSD, and it has bugged me that the acks, data, and disabled
directories never seem to have anything in them, even when we have tons
of things acked or disabled. I figured I'd start hunting things down and
comparing our configuration to the supplied examples and this is what I
have found.

Straight out of the tarball --

xymon-4.3.11/xymond/etcfiles/xymonserver.cfg.DIST:

# Server specific directories
XYMONVAR="@XYMONVAR@"                           # The xymonvar directory
holds all monitoring data
XYMONACKDIR="$XYMONVAR/acks"                    # Acknowledge event info
stored here (xymond_alert)
XYMONDATADIR="$XYMONVAR/data"                   # Data files go here
(xymond_filestore --data)
XYMONDISABLEDDIR="$XYMONVAR/disabled"           # Enabled/disabled flags
are stored here (xymond_filestore --enadis)
XYMONHISTDIR="$XYMONVAR/hist"                   # History logs are
stored here (xymond_history)
XYMONHISTLOGS="$XYMONVAR/histlogs"              # Historical detail
status-loge are stored here (xymond_history)
XYMONRAWSTATUSDIR="$XYMONVAR/logs"              # Status logs go here
(xymond_filestore --status). Not needed by Xymon.

I think that may be incorrect here

xymon-4.3.11/xymond/etcfiles/tasks.cfg.DIST:

# "alert" sends out alerts.
[alert]
        ENVFILE @XYMONHOME@/etc/xymonserver.cfg
        NEEDS xymond
        CMD xymond_channel --channel=page
        --log=$XYMONSERVERLOGS/alert.log xymond_alert
        --checkpoint-file=$XYMONTMP/alert.chk --checkpoint-interval=600

Why is the xymond_alert checkpoint-file going to XYMONTMP? Isn't it
supposed to be going to XYMONACKDIR? Or is that unrelated? Can anyone
explain why XYMONACKDIR, XYMONDATADIR, and XYMONDISABLEDDIR are always
empty?

Thanks!