[Xymon] Version 5 with IPv6 - anyone for testing? And some news ...

Christian Herzog herzog at phys.ethz.ch
Wed Jul 31 12:19:13 CEST 2013

Hi Henrik,

we have cloned our production monitoring to 4.3.99-20130730 and have almost
all hosts report to both servers in order to get real life data and also added
some IPv6-only hosts for good measure: https://phd-nfsv4.ethz.ch/xymon/
Within experimental error the monitoring results are very similar to
production 4.3.0-0.beta2, which is a really good sign!

What we did notice:

- after several minutes, xymonnet2 gets stuck at 100% CPU usage and doesn't
  report any longer, rendering all net tests purple. If you kill it, a new one
  gets started, buying you another 5-10 minutes. Neither --debug nor strace in
  the task file showed me anything uselful, it just goes belly up
- ./xymon.sh restart fails to get rid of running xymonnet processes
- cosmetics: IPv6 ping tests are somewhat confusing as they add :0 (port?) to
  the end of the v6 address: 2a01:4f8:162:464::113:0 (see
https://phd-nfsv4.ethz.ch/xymon-cgi/svcstatus.sh?HOST=daduke&SERVICE=ping)

other than that, we're really amazed by how far it's come! Once xymonnet runs
reliably we see no major obstacle with the new code.

thanks a lot,
-Christian

--
Dr. Christian Herzog <herzog at phys.ethz.ch>  support: +41 44 633 26 68
IT Services Group, HPT H 8                    voice: +41 44 633 39 50